Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Are you content?

Contentment is an interesting thing I've been thinking about a lot lately. On the one hand, God wants us to be content with what He's given us, not always wanting the newest and biggest things, being content with your job, your family, your home. Not living in a constant state of feeling like you 'need' to have more. But on the other hand, He wants us to be constantly reevaluating our lives- seeing where it lines up with Him and where it doesn't. Seeing where we can do more than we're doing for His kingdom and His glory. So these are the conversations Shane and I have been having. We just had Orphan Sunday at our church. Author Tom Davis was our speaker and he was fabulous. It was a great sermon for reminding us why we adopted and why we're not done. When I say "not done", it doesn't necessarily mean more kids- though we haven't ruled that out. It means that just because we adopted 2 boys from Ethiopia, that we've somehow 'done our part' for the orphan crisis and can sit back and be happy and content with what we've done. Yes, it was a "good thing" that we did, but it's done now. It doesn't feel like anything else now besides just raising our family. Kalid and Abuzaid are our sons and will always be, just like Jonah and Landon.
There are so many ways we can help, both in the US and abroad. We're both praying about what that means for our family. And it's not just about the orphans, though that is a huge passion of ours. It's about what else we need to be doing- how we need to be serving. How we can involve our boys in what we do so that they can know that it's not OK to just go about your own little life and do things that mainly are for yourself? We need to teach them to live selfless lives, which is so contradictory to our American lives we lead right now and so contradictory to our very natures.
This is somewhat rambling now (imagine that in a post by me!:)), but I just wanted to get out some of the thoughts that have been on my mind recently. Thanks for listening!

2 comments:

  1. Amy..love this post..exactly how I have been feeling! I believe God is up to something quite mighty!! Think about your family often, hoping someday we can connect, besides on FB or the blog...would love to actually meet u in person, and for the boys to see each other again!! They talk of them alot..:) take care kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you been in my head (and Brad's) lately?! I love how God is moving in so many of our hearts and can't wait to see what He is calling our families to. Thanks for sharing your thoughts-I've tried writing a few blog posts and just can't get my thoughts out!

    ReplyDelete